Monday, October 10, 2011

Openly Carrying Concealed

Last night, while we were sleeping, Jerry Brown, the Governor of California, signed into law three anti-gun bills: AB 144 - Open Carry Ban, AB 809 - Long gun registration and SB 819 - Converts Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) fee to tax (slush fund). I think the Open Carry Ban will ultimately support the litigation against discretionary approval of California concealed permits... Registering long guns won't necessarily keep first responders safer if they know these types of guns are registered to a particular address... And finally, converting DROS fees to a tax... At least there aren't any more fees, I guess, but that's California. (I suppose I should note that he did veto the ammunition registration bill, but according to his message ONLY because the case is still tied up in the court system.) Today was the first day I chose to carry concealed at the workplace, just two weeks after picking up my piece. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to the cold, hard steel against my warm, soft skin, but I feel good about carrying it. I feel empowered and responsible. I even noticed I walk differently. And I understand it will take some time to get more familiar with handling and shooting my gun and varying my wardrobe selections. My whole attitude about guns has changed since I started working in the firearms industry. I used to only associate guns with cops, crime and death, but now I see firearms as hunting and safety equipment. I definitely agree that guns don't kill people, people kill people and gun control is not the answer. It just doesn't work effectively to deter crime or even keep firearms out of the wrong hands, as proven with the "Fast and Furious" gun-running scandal. While I await approval for my CA CCW permit and AZ CCW permit, I will continue to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights and carry concealed on private property.

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel. When I started carrying concealed, it felt like everyone was watching me. I instantly became more aware of my surroundings. It's a lifestyle changer, but in a good way.

    I couldn't agree with you more on the California gun laws. I think this pretty much sums up the effectiveness of gun control:

    "There is a stretch of road with a speed limit of 30mph. There is a big problem with people driving 90mph, so to fix the problem your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20"

    Great post, and welcome to the blog-o-sphere! I'll be sure to add you to my blogroll :)

    ReplyDelete